Head Line Monitor, Duke, UVa, and UMBC (2024)

hallcity

• Dec 15, 2018
  • #21

It’s a sophom*oric stunt but nobody will get hurt so let’s not get in the way of the undergrads expressing the youthful (and immature) exuberance in this way. We were all young and foolish once.

H

HereBeforeCoachK

Well-known member
  • Dec 15, 2018
  • #22

hallcity said:

I have no problem with the youthful exuberance angle....I just think for a Cam Crazy stunt, it's kinda lame.

OldPhiKap

Moderator
  • Dec 15, 2018
  • #23

jhmoss1812 said:

This also makes sense for Duke. It could be fruitful to have at least one person in the stadium that beat UVA last year Head Line Monitor, Duke, UVa, and UMBC (3)

Well-played, Sir. Well-played.

(Or if Ma’am, please substitute as appropriate and with apologies)

Ima Facultiwyfe

• Dec 15, 2018
  • #24

jhmoss1812 said:

Love the idea of trolling UVA but this would have been so much better as a surprise. I think it could have rattled or shook the UVA players a little more as a surprise. Now, the UVA players have a month to mentally prepare for it. It may still be effective though.

This also makes sense for Duke. It could be fruitful to have at least one person in the stadium that beat UVA last year Head Line Monitor, Duke, UVa, and UMBC (5)

Now THAT'S funny. Bless your trolling heart.
Love, Ima

D

dukie’s_daughter

• Dec 15, 2018
  • #26

Reminds me of the Gonzaga fan at Cameron during the Stetson game. Annoying at best...

1991 duke law

• Dec 15, 2018
  • #27

dukie's_daughter said:

Agree. I sat a few rows behind him. He was an obnoxious fool.

I like UVA. Great school - fans are not obnoxious- coach is great and a clean program with good kids. It would be my next choice after Duke. Let’s avoid karma - we have had some bad NCAA losses too.

In summary, I do not find this amusing or worthy of Duke students.

Edouble

• Dec 15, 2018
  • #28

duke4ever19 said:

Kyle Guy is promoting the idea on his twitter account, which is a very clever move on his part.

I don't know if I'd go that far.

So the original stunt is "meh" but Kyle Guy getting behind it is "very clever"? I think he's just trying to save face.

W

weezie

Well-known member
  • Dec 15, 2018
  • #29

1991 duke law said:

... I do not find this amusing or worthy of Duke students.

Me neither. I think it's dopey. When you have to explain the joke, or you crack yourself up while telling it....not cool.

jhmoss1812

• Dec 15, 2018
  • #30

Ima Facultiwyfe said:

Now THAT'S funny. Bless your trolling heart.
Love, Ima

Oh come on, Ima. The winky face should have made it clear that my post was made in jest.
Love, Justin

rsvman

• Dec 15, 2018
  • #31

Glass houses and all..... I seem to remember some team with just three capital letters.... And a team from Pennsylvania with a competent guard..... And, oh yeah, some school from Georgia with a bunch of older guys on it.......

A

AGDukesky

• Dec 15, 2018
  • #32

It might be bit better if the UMBC guy was with someone from Chaminade and they were high five-ing after each bad play for UVA

T

TruBlu

• Dec 16, 2018
  • #33

In addition to the possibility that having Maura provide motivation for UVA (which I kinda doubt that UVA needs any more motivation), has anyone considered that the Crazies are being trolled? What if Maura is going to cheer for for UVA? Does anyone remember the Crazies being tricked by the Terps into chanting "Myra and Piggy", which ended up sounding like "Myron Piggy"?

B

Bluedog

• Dec 16, 2018
  • #34

TruBlu said:

"Myra and Piggie" never caught on as a chant that game despite people claiming so. However,it WAS on the cheer sheet which became public so Maryland thought that was a success. There is also evidence that it was written on a whiteboard which there's photographic evidence of. It's possible that perhaps a few individuals shouted it at him when at the line, but it wasn't ever a loud unified chant from all the crazies despite claims to that effect.

TKG

• Dec 16, 2018
  • #35

Surprised K hasn’t squelched this....

wavedukefan70s

• Dec 16, 2018
  • #36

jhmoss1812 said:

This also makes sense for Duke. It could be fruitful to have at least one person in the stadium that beat UVA last year Head Line Monitor, Duke, UVa, and UMBC (13)

I dunno .I'm not a fan of giving other teams locker room material to get extra motivation. I would think college age players wouldnt buy into it.
But we used it in highschool religiously. Then I have to think is a 19/20(we hold them back for football) yr old highschool sr thinking any different than a 19 /20 yr old college kid in the locker room?

Reddevil

• Dec 16, 2018
  • #37

My two cents is that it would be more appropriate in Blacksburg. Since when is there animosity between Duke and VA?

Tripping William

• Dec 16, 2018
  • #38

Reddevil said:

At least since the night at Denny's . . . . . Head Line Monitor, Duke, UVa, and UMBC (16)

R

Reilly

• Dec 16, 2018
  • #39

Reddevil said:

... Since when is there animosity between Duke and VA?

Tom Sheehey brought animosity, but that was with every team.

JasonEvans

Host, The Duke Basketball Roundup
  • Dec 16, 2018
  • #40

I think some of y'all are getting worked up over nothing. This is a fun stunt, the kind of thing the Crazies are great at. I'd love to see them also have a fan or someone wearing a Chaminade jersey. Between Chaminade and UMBC, Virginia is on the wrong end of the two biggest upsets in college hoops history. Reminding them of that is what makes the Crazies special and stand out among the many crowds across college hoops.

But, the notion that UVa will be extra motivated by it or that they would have been thrown and flustered if we had kept the UMBC appearance under wraps just does not ring true to me. This is a stunt and will not meaningfully impact the outcome of the game. The players on both these teams know how to tune this "Bullshoot" out and not worry about it. This is really just something for the TV cameras**, IMO.

-Jason "**- Not that there is anything wrong with that" Evans

You must log in or register to reply here.

Head Line Monitor, Duke, UVa, and UMBC (2024)
Top Articles